PA Podcast from a Priest & Atheist: On Jean-Paul Sartre Part I: Laying Foundations
This is xMabaitx and I’s inaugural “PA: Public Announcements from a Priest & Atheist” podcast. This podcast is a series on philosophy, politics, and theory.
This podcast is one-hour long and covers:
- Intro and intro song: “Defeaning” by From Monuments to Masses on the album Schools of Thought Contend (00:00-06:11)
- Briefly on Sartre (06:11-08:27)
- On The Transcendence of Ego (08:27-26:17)
- Musical break: “Sous le ciel de Paris” by Jacqueline François on the album Anthologie de la chanson française : 1953 (26:17-29:26)
- The Transcendence of Ego continued (29:26-38:22)
- On The Psychology of Imagination (38:22-47:47)
- Musical break: “Tu es partout” by Edith Piaf on the album Anthologie de la chanson française : 1943 (47:47-50:31)
- On The Emotions (50:31-57:52)
- Concluding song “L’Internationale” and extra (57:52-1:01:01)
Or, download the file and subscribe by clicking on the iTunes logo below:
Due to us “talking” and basically thinking out loud xMabaitx and I will have obviously made some mistakes. Like around minute 18 I say, “The Ego is apart of consciousness” but I meant to say, “The Ego is apart from consciousness.”
Were are also purposely leaving out the terms etre-en-soi and etre-pour-soi purposfully to keep things simple so this tends to lead to a little confusion of when we are talking about consciousness as sometimes we mean pre-reflective consciousness, reflective consciousness, and sometimes pour-soi. We will use more technical jargon during out upcoming podcasts (such as “practico-inert” and “being-for-others” and other such fun and exciting phrases!).
Books We’ve Used for this Podcast
Barret, William. Irrational Man: A Study in Existential Philosophy: Second Edition. New York: Anchor Books, 1990.
Cox, Gary. The Sartre Dictionary. New York: Continuum, 2008.
Detmer, David. Sartre Explained: From Bad Faith to Authenticity. Peru, Illinois: Open Court, 2008.
Drake, David. Sartre. London: Haus Publishing, 2005.
Flynn, Thomas R. Existentialism: A Very Short Introduction. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
–Sartre and Marxist Existentialism: The Test Case of Collective Responsibility. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1984.
Santoni, Ronald E. Bad Faith, Good Faith, and Authenticity in Sartre’s Early Philosophy. Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1995.
Sartre, Jean-Paul. Between Existentialism and Marxism. Translated by John Matthews. London: Verso, 2008.
–The Transcendence of the Ego: An Existentialist Theory of Consciousness. Translated by Forrest Williams and Robert Kirkpatrick. New York: Macmillan, 1991.
–Being and Nothingness: A Phenomenological Essay on Ontology. Translated by Hazel E. Barnes New York: Washington Square Press, 1984.
McCulloch, Gregory. Using Sartre: An Analytical Introduction to Early Sartean Themes. New York: Routledge, 2001.
Thody, Philip and Howard Read. Introducing Sartre. Cambridge: Totem Books, 2005.